Friday, January 4, 2013

First Checkup

We went back to the Pediatric Endocrinologist this week. It seems strange that this diabetes thing has already been (and has only been!) a part of our lives for over 3 weeks now.

In that time, Sam has gained back about 4 pounds. His cheeks have their color back and he looks healthy and normal again. To be honest, we didn't realize just how sickly he looked until we looked back at pictures- then it seemed painfully obvious. Of course it also helps that both the stomach bug from hell and the fever and cough that plagued our house now seems to be gone.

Everything went really well with the doctor. He once again spent a lot of time with us- over an hour, educating us, asking questions, and encouraging us with his confidence in the technology that is on the horizon that will change Sam's life.

At home, testing and insulin injections are going more smoothly than before. In just the past few days, I've made myself start giving the insulin injections again. I had been relying solely on my husband to do them and had lost all confidence that I could even manage. Miraculously, Sam responds very well to me giving them and he isn't fighting as hard.  Praise God!

1 comment:

  1. So glad that Sam isn't fighting as hard now. That has to bring you such pain to see him hurting. I feel so sad for him but will continue to pray for him and you. I love you all and miss you so much.

    ReplyDelete